Monday, December 5, 2011

Mean What You Say, Don't Say What You Mean


I always intended to attack the changing of lines as a separate post in the future, and it appears from the comment section that the future is now. But I’d like to address two things before I do.

One, the original message in my previous post got lost and diluted in the unexpected focus on changing lines. While I brought up that issue as the impetus for the post, it’s only one of many, many issues that contributed to the point I was trying to make which is first, foremost, and always: There Is No Excuse For Lazy Community Theatre. And *that* is what the focus of this blog will be.  Changing lines is a symptom, not the disease.

Second, my sincere thanks to Tami and Anonymous (yeah, I know who you are) for chiming in. I think it’s imperative to community theatre for these issues to be brought to the forefront and hashed out, and I appreciate the debate.

And now, at last, I get to the point of this post! Let’s begin by nipping in the bud this conspiracy to paint me as a fanatic.  (Yes, two people said it, so it is now a conspiracy!!) This was never about *one line* or even *one show*.  Of course I didn’t issue a pas d'armes over an isolated incident. I’m concerned about what I perceive to be a growing trend in community theatre: A cavalier disregard for the art of the script itself. 

Let’s tackle the legal argument forthwith. (I’ve been watching The Practice.) Federal copyright law explicitly prohibits making changes (unauthorized changes) to copyrighted material. When you pay royalties and obtain a license to produce the play, you sign a legal contract stipulating, as put by Samuel French, “The play will be presented as it appears in published form and the author's intent will be respected in production. No changes, interpolations, or deletions in the text, lyrics, music, title or gender of the characters shall be made for the purpose of production.” And again, even without this contract with Samuel French, there’s still the pesky little matter of Federal Copyright Law.
 
But hey, we’re artists! We’re rebels! We don’t let social norms and fascist laws made by The Man bring us down! Hey, I’m no uptight square. I’ve fudged the speed limit on more than once occasion, snuck food into a movie theatre, heck I’ve even carried an ice cream cone in my back pocket on a Sunday. (Ok, maybe not that last one. But I totally would if I had an ice cream cone. And a back pocket.) So maybe the legal argument doesn’t mean much?

Then let’s talk artist to artist. (Disclaimer: I am a writer and a director, but I am not a playwright.) Theatre is not a solo construct. What the audience sees on opening night (and at subsequent performances) is the cumulative effort of many artists, starting first and foremost with the playwright and her script. The script is a piece of art. The playwright is an artist. You have to respect both those concepts before reading on, or what I have to say from here on out will mean as much to you as the legal argument did. Every word of dialogue (stage directions are another discussion) was written the way it was written for a reason. The playwright is doing more than relaying a story through dialogue. The construction of each line of dialogue speaks not only to the story, but to the characters, to the tone, the atmosphere.  A painter doesn’t dip her brush in the closest pot of blue and then paint the sky. She chooses a particular shade to create an impression, a feeling. She chooses her brush strokes with equal care. So it is with a playwright’s words. 

Hence, what to make of an actor who changes the lines carelessly, without thought to the author’s intent? I see laziness. I see arrogance. I see someone who, frankly, doesn’t understand the art of theatre. It’s not the actor’s job to explain to the audience what the playwright meant. I see it all too often in theatre – switching a word or two around, ad-libbing a bit at the end – conveying the ideas that a) the audience won’t get it and b)the playwright didn’t know what he was doing. Instead, the actor should understand what’s behind the line and portray that with her vocal intonations, her body language, her facial expressions. It's lazy and lacking in artistry to change the line and feed the meaning to the audience instead of making it work as the playwright intended. If you think you can do better than the script before you, then by all means, go write a script. The world of theatre can always use smart, well-written scripts. But while you have someone else's work in your hands, don’t be so arrogant as to presume that you know better than the playwright. (And, to be blunt actors? Nine times out of ten, your line *isn’t* better.) 

All of this, of course, presumes that the script in hand is well-written, that it is worthy of the subjective label “art”. What if the script just doesn’t work as written? Well, the obvious solution is to simply not agree to do the script. But if you’re truly stuck with it (it’s happened to the best of us!), you are still under a legal and artistic obligation to respect the original work. A bad script doesn’t give a director carte blanche to go in with a machete and hack the script to bits to please our own whims, to cavalierly cut lines whenever it suits. "Cut it!" is not the rallying cry here, "Make it work!" is. You figure out a different approach to the script artistically, and you respect the agreement you’ve made with the playwright. Otherwise, you lack integrity as an artist. 

As an actor, and a director, it’s too easy to be blasé about the issue. After all, what actor has ever had their artistic contribution stolen, or misrepresented, or changed by an outside party? As actors and directors, we are artists, but we are artists who are part of a *collective work*. Understand that, respect that, and community theatre will not only survive, it will survive with integrity. 

20 comments:

  1. As a playwright who also acts and directs, this is a no-brainer. That means that as an actor I say the words as written, even if I think I could do better. I'm a good enough actor so I can find a way to make the line work. As a director, if I want to change the words, I find the playwright and talk it over. If I can't do that, I'm a good enough director to make the lines work as written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your principles. Good for you! I, alas, am a weaker person.

    As a director, I look for playwrites that encourage the actors to blend their own personality into the script (e.g. Nunsense) or to update out-dated lines (e.g. The Somewhat True Tales of Robinhood.) Sometimes I think Samuel French has a vendetta against anyone with any creativity. Why are we beholden to direct a show exactly the way it was directed on Broadway, then at The Fox, then at The Aurora, and finally trickling down to our little theater where we've only had 60 or so hours of rehearsal if we're lucky? Why wouldn't everyone just go see the pros perform it to begin with if there is nothing new to see (or unless they are beholden to see their kid in it)? I don't disagree with you, and I want all artists to be protected from fraud, I just hate the necessary means and I avoid putting myself in any of Samuel F*&)ing French's straight jackets.

    Cases in point: Dangerous Liasons. Look at all the versions and variations and visioning of that particular piece of work! Hamlet: I LOVE seeing Shakespeare reset and revamped to modern style. Dancing Goat cast Horatio as a female recently and it gave a whole new depth to Horatio's sympathy and devotion to Hamlet. There are LOTS of examples with Shakespeare.

    And I have to admit that unless there is a new twist on the show or a very talented friend in the show, I cringe at the possibility of seeing the same ol' same ol'.

    As an actress, I have to admit that while I strive to memorize word for word, sometimes there are long paragraphs that I have to break down into basic ideas and try to get the gist across. I keep waiting for Samuel French to come to opening night when I'm dead on my feet from Hell week and slap cuffs on me for misquoting the author. Sheesh.

    Between them and ASCAP on the music side, it's amazing there is any non-professional performance art left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami, I'm not aware that Samuel French dictates how a show is directed, only that the copyright be respected with regards to the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “The play will be presented as it appears in published form and the author's intent will be respected in production. No changes, interpolations, or deletions in the text, lyrics, music, title or gender of the characters shall be made for the purpose of production.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I posted that last bit, I kid you not, my verification code that popped up was "fudge taint!!" ROTFLOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! But I would still argue that the above restriction doesn't inform how you direct the show. I directed Steel Magnolias without changing a thing in the script, yet I made it my own, and it definitely had my creative stamp on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Judith, your input as a playwright is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Author's intent" - ok, so now I'm a mind reader? I read the script and it gave me a picture in my mind - does it agree with the author's intent? I DON'T KNOW!! That is why I look for the paragraph that some lovely authors put in that certain things are "open to interpretation and update." I love those authors who so love their subject that they would love to see it improved upon! And if a line doesn't make sense, then you are probably running afoul of the author's intent. After all, it made sense to them!

    "As published" - including stage directions? What if my theater is a converted grocery store with no stage left exit? I guess I don't get to the play.

    "No gender changes" - well that really ties the hands of small theaters who have 40 women and 2 men come out to audition - not to mention great parts I would love to play though they are written for men.

    "No interpolations" - In Mathematics, that is a data analysis term, so I can only assume that means "no new analysis." You and I probably technically violated that one with our interpretations - both directing and acting.

    Why don't they just state "No free thought. Big Brother is watching??"

    *sigh* I'm too rebellious. I do my best not to BREAK rules, but I do like to twist them into little oragami swans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why, in a world full of color, must you see everything in black and white?
    I don't know anybody who advocates wholesale changes to scripts. Most scripts in need of such changes don't get produced in the first place. Rarely have I seen a script with issues so major as to require surgery. But if a gentle tweak is needed then it shouldn't need a judge and jury to decide it. It should be the pervue of the Director who is keeping the needs of the AUDIENCE in mind as well as the playwright.
    And, tellingly, why is no one advocating for the audience? Without them you have no theatre! If you aren't going to massage a bad play shouldn't you then - in the name of artistic integrity - put up a disclaimer that states, "warning! This is a poorly written play, don't blame us"?
    No, better to make the small changes that smooth the rough edges. It doesn't happen that often. But if it needs to happen it should.
    I am now going to a restaurant to eat a meal created by an artist/chef. I will then season it to taste. Sue me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This isn't about seeing things in black and white vs. color.

    I've clearly laid out in my blog everything I would say in response to your comment: It's laziness. It's arrogance. It's wrong.

    Somehow you seem to think the playwright becomes a non-entity once the script is published. If you want to make changes to the script, take it up with the playwright. But cutting lines and changing things around to suit you while ignoring the playwright's existence doesn't fly in the real theatre world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And Anonymous, with your food analogy, you seem to be under the impression that purchasing a license to perform a play gives you outright ownership of the play, as you own the food that you purchase in a restaurant. But that isn't the case - the playwright still owns his/her work, it's not yours to "season" as you will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a playwright (comedies), I realize that I am not the srbiter of humor, however humorous I find myself. There seem to be two sides to theater, the artistic and the entertainment... I fear I fall into the latter, ratehr than the former.

    I would love to have someone put on a play and ask if they could change X for Y... Or ask how I saw one particular scene being expressed. I try to contact every theater that performs my work to let them know I'm open for questions or concerns. I've allowed changes to scripts... I want the audience to laugh, to take a respite from their daily lives and forget their cares for a while...

    But, ask before you change something. There are reasons I have something the way I do. Really! As a playwright, I always ask theater friends to read through scripts before we put them in front of a director. These friends ask questions, they suggest alternatives, they point out all of my typos and word confusion... And I take some of their advice, but not all of it. Sometimes they don't understand the vision of the character that I see (perhaps this is my fault in conveying the character, but this allows me to correct that. But it allows me to maintain MY vision of the character, rather than theirs). If you have no respect for my vision, don't put on my play. Either choose a different play, or write your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed this dialogue! Thank you Starshine for starting this blog. Am I convinced that you are right? Of course not!
    Do I understand a little more about your motivation and beliefs? Certainly.
    The best answer to all of this is to produce quality plays. Bad actors can't kill a good script - but the best actors in the world can't save a poorly written play. Put enough bad plays out there and you will kill Community Theatre as sure as if you shot it yourself.
    If you start with good ingredients you will almost always end up with a good product.
    So a toast to good actors, great scripts, inspired directors and windmills that are, in fact, just windmills!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous - Good actors and directors can, on occasion, salvage a bad script. As you spend more time in theatre, I think you will learn that, unfortunately, there are myriad ways bad actors and directors can destroy a good script - particularly by screwing up the lines. ;)

    @Brian, again, I agree with most of what you say. In particular, I want to emphasize your point that is the playwright who must make changes, or approve changes suggested by others. If a director or actor feels strongly enough, contact the playwright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a new "anonymous"... as a playwright, you agonize over every word, how to get down what you want to say and then you rewrite and pray until you get published.

    As a director, you choose your script you want to direct and you create your vision in your head of the way it will go.

    As an actor, you see the auditions posted for this play, directed by this director and you CHOOSE to audtion hoping to get a part. A part in a play directed by this director. A part in a play written a particular way by this playwright. You then use your talent to make this character come to life, to tell this story that you wanted to be a part of telling.

    But, you don't have the right as an actor to argue with the director and change the playwright's words without permission. That is not your role, your job here.

    You are not a very good actor if you can't make the lines work the way they are written. And you are a lazy actor if you don't take the time and care to make the good attempt to learn the lines the way they are written. It is not your place to change them.

    If the script is that bad, don't audition. Don't direct that play.

    How you INTERPRET the lines that are written can be debated with the director, but I believe an actor's goal should be to stay as true to the written word as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are we up to two Anonymous posters, or three? :) Either way, thanks for reading, and for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Brian. I've written a One Act play which is now moldering away in a file cabinet at Agnes Scott College. It lies there, turning yellow, waiting for the glorious day that some student director will find the little diamond in the rough, polish it up and produce it onstage. Yeah, fat chance.

    However, if such a miraculous day arrives, I would hope that, should the director have tweaks in mind, she would give me a call so I could provide both director and actors the material they need to put on the best show possible. It would be arrogant of me to assume that every word in my script is perfection and sacred.

    In fact, think I was drunk during one re-write.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Previously unproduced works should *always* be done in conjunction with the playwright. The director should be willing to work closely with the playwright on what works on stage, and what doesn't, and any changes should be approved by the playwright.

    And drunken re-writes generally produce genius scripts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As someone who has yet to have a play produced, I understand completely if there is a collaboration and parts of the script get altered. That's part of how developing a play works.

    I am a writer with some directing experience (I want more) although I rarely act outside of chorus and bit parts in operas. Once this material gets set and published, unless a publisher sells unproduced plays, it is unlikely that you can do much to improve it without consulting the author. I did't sing my ten lines of Strauss/Hofmannstahl perfectly, but not because I didn't try to or thought that my melody was better. I did get all the words right, although no one would know, since I did a rare English-language performance.

    SO far the only offer I had to produce my script was a producer that I'm friends with. He wanted to gut my play from 2 1/2 hours to one of those 90 minutes-with-no-intermission things, and focus it on the fourth most important character. I could have written the play much more easily that way. I think making him the main character would be easy, and did while I was writing the play and before I met this producer, but cheap and exploitative to the point that I'd be embarrassed to have my name on it. That character researches and kills large business owners who have a poor track record hiring recent college graduates. By making him a supporting character, I focused on the issues that people who don't take such drastic actions face, with him representing the rage that always goes on in the back of their minds, but the producer wanted to turn it into a simple revenge story. Needless to say, I was uninterested, especially since he wasn't willing to hand me a big check.

    ReplyDelete